Sunday, May 8, 2016

Fairy Cottage


I'm so excited to have completed the Fairy Cottage from SVGCuts! It took my several days to get started on this because I was having a hard time picking out paper. Honestly, that's the hardest part of some of these projects. I went with a primarily pink and green theme this time, but have about ten alternatives in my head in case I feel the need to build an entire fairy village!

I started out with the Whimsical World Stack by DCWV and picked several papers that seemed to go well together.


I used the Tim Holtz wood grain texture fade for the 'stump' panels. This was my first time adding ink to the embossing folder before running it through the machine and I love how it came out. I think
it really enhances the dimension of the embossing. I used TH Distress Walnut Stain. I will definitely be doing this again.


I just recently completed Tim Holtz's April tag challenge (and won!) using the new Distress Paper Mosaic Kit. This certainly made me think of how I could use this kit on so many different svg projects.  I didn't use the grout here, but I 'tiled' some leaves onto the patio. The leaves were fussy cut from leftover paper from the right side roof.


I embossed the window frames and dusted them with Perfect Pearls (in Blush) to add a little bit of magical shimmer. You can see the shimmer below along with a picture of the twig railing I installed with the use of some hot glue and a lot of patience. I'm still finding twig bits here and there around my workspace!


Here's the roof to which I added a fun little butterfly from a Martha Stewart punch. Also, the brown roof trim was not showing up very well against the boldly patterned paper, so I added some blue liquid pearls to it so it would stand out more. 


It's hard to see, but I also added some iridescent Stickles to the cotton smoke coming out of the chimney. I wanted it so seem as though the fairies were brewing up something magical in there!

Added bonus, when turned the lights on in the cottage, I noticed the light is shining up out of the chimney which I think totally adds to the magical effect.  Love this happy accident!



I love what I call the 'bubble' paper so much that I put it on everything from the chimney to the stairs. Kind of like magical cobblestones!  And the leaves from this right roof paper are what I used to tile the patio. 



Last but not least, here is the cottage all lit up. I know the doorknob looks like it's glowing, but there's actually a little pink pearl on there.  More magic from the fairies I suspect!


I embellished with some flowers made from the Tim Holtz Tiny Tattered Floral die and the ladybug wood piece is something I made a year or two ago using a technique I saw on Pinterest.

It's basically stamped with a rubber stamp and then I used a wood-burning tool to trace the stamped image.  It's been sitting on my desk for way too long and seemed like the perfect addition to my fairy cottage. It also coordinates nicely with the papers as there are some ladybugs in a few of the prints.


If you've made it this far, thanks for hanging in there and thanks for stopping by! Wishing you some fairy magic!


3 comments:

  1. Love it. Although I really want to make this I've been putting it off (due to the choosing paper issue). I've been collecting inspiration from everyone else and this is certainly going in the file. Thanks for showing all the fabulous detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks disneylisa! Isn't it crazy how much time we spend picking paper? So many beautiful options!

      Delete
  2. It's incredible, Lee!! I love it!! So cute and colorful! I love how you shared so many photos of it and details about your process! The floral patterned paper on the roof looks so nice!! What nice paper from DCWV! The inking on the woodgrain textured stump panels looks so nice! Congrats on the Tim Holtz April Tag Challenge - how cool! Love the "leaf tiles!" The shimmer you added looks so nice and your twig railing looks phenomenal! Loving all the details! Love the liquid pearls on the roof trim! The iridescent Stickles in the chimney smoke does indeed look more magical! Love the addition of the woodburned ladybug. So magical - thanks so much for sharing! :) ~Mary

    ReplyDelete