Monday, May 14, 2018

Secret Garden



When I learned that a family member was going to be celebrating her 75th birthday, I set out to build her a special card to commemorate the occasion.  The card turned into an explosion box featuring her love of gardening, tea and all things vintage!  Her garden is so beautiful that it was featured in a magazine years ago.

I used a variety of svg files, dies and punches to create my project.  I started by using the Easter Explosion Box from Dreaming Tree as the base.  I only used the main body and lid along with the panels to go on them.  I cut the panels from glittery hydrangea paper from K & Company which I've had in my stash for many, many years. The garden is bordered by huge hydrangea bushes and so I wanted to include some in the project.  The tag is cut from a Tim Holtz die and the butterfly is from a layered punch by Martha Stewart.  I embellished the butterfly with some Liquid Pearls by Ranger.



I also wanted to include a dramatic flower on top of the box instead of using a bow.  I've been wanting to make the peony from Dreaming Tree's Love You Mom collection, so I Googled it to make sure that blue peonies actually exist and they do - they're quite beautiful!


Next came the inside where I went with a completely different color scheme than on the outside.  Here's a bird's eye view with the lid removed:


The centerpiece for inside the box is this rose-filled teacup; the svg files for the cup, saucer and spoon are from the SVGCuts Tea For You & Me kit.


I cut the small rolled roses out of three different shades of pink cardstock using a Sizzix die. I added a floral foam block inside the teacup, glued some Spanish moss over top of it and then hot glued the roses on top of that. I added the tea tag which I created from a scrap of Tim Holtz paper and some numeric rubber stamps.


The doily underneath the tea cup is a Tim Holtz die. I added an extra rose and a little greenery leftover from another project, also from a Tim die.  It's hard to see in the picture, but I wrapped a thin gold washi tape around the base of the tea cup to match the gold handle and gold foil in the paper print on the outside of the cup. I embossed the very end of the spoon and added a little pearl to embellish.


I originally wanted to make some offset flaps on the corners so that it looked sort of like a lacy napkin underneath the tea cup. I converted these beautiful lace banner pennants from Bird's SVGs Tea Party collection by adding a tab to the top of the banner for gluing into the box.  Unfortunately I didn't take the width of the saucer into consideration when designing the project and when I tried to add the flaps at the corners, the wouldn't fold up properly.  I didn't want to waste them, so I just used them in alignment with the outer flaps, although I would have made them larger if that was my original plan.


I embellished each flap with a pearl and a piece of Tim Holtz ephemera that matched the project.




For the outer flaps, I used a pink and purple, lightly glittered piece of K & Company paper for the panels and edged each panel with a strip of lace cut with a Tim Holtz die.  I added some white liquid pearls along the edges as well.


On each outer panel I added more ephemera, mostly from Tim Holtz, as well as some Chit Chat stickers, also from Tim.  




On the last panel, I cut out a little envelope and tucked in a tiny card that I stamped with a Happy Birthday sentiment, added a ribbon pull tag, signed the back and added a little velcro dot to close.


Oh, and I forgot to mention the butterflies on the inside!  They are all from Martha Stewart punches. The larger ones were glued to some acetate strips which I glued to the base, so when the box explodes open, the butterflies flutter around a bit.  I cut the base layer of the butterfly with leftover patterned paper and the top layer was cut using vellum.  I added some liquid pearls to these too.  


I packed this up and put it in the mail last week. The recipient absolutely loved it! I'm so glad because it was quite a bit of work, although I enjoyed every minute of planning and executing it so it would turn out how I envisioned.  

Every project leaves me with a list of things I'd change, do better or remember to include next time. I think that's part of what makes it fun and helps us grow artistically.  I really enjoyed being able to mesh many different svgs, dies and other supplies into one cohesive project.

Well that was a long post, so thanks for hanging in there if you've made it this far. I appreciate you taking the time. Thanks so much for stopping by!  Until next time...

28 comments:

  1. Oh wow! This is not only amazing but very precious! Bet she loved it big time. Totally cool idea <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you beautiful work and design.so much for directing me to this page from Dreaming Tree post. This is awesome and so eloquent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spectacular, I had to scroll back. I thought the spoon was real! Great set, awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonja! I love that spoon - I agonized over the pattern to emboss on it so it would look realistic. I may have too many embossing folders!

      Delete
  4. That is absolutely beautiful ............so clever to combine the files. A lot of work but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was a bit of a franken-project with bits and pieces from everywhere, but I'm glad it all came together in the end. Great excuse for why I 'need' all of these supplies too. ;)

      Delete
  5. fabulous project. So beautiful and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a glorious project Lee! I love the attention to detail like the embossing on the spoon handle and the 75 on the teabag. It gave a me a bit of an alice in wonderland feel inside. Love it! :)
    - Bird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Bird! I think I went down the rabbit hole on this one!

      Delete
  7. Awesome!!! What a beautiful gift. Thanks for sharing this with us and all the files you share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Love the idea and the result! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!!. I love it. Thanks for sharing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Es un maravilloso proyecto. Felicitaciones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a labour of Love, stunning

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely the most beautiful explosion card I have ever seen! You have done an amazing job on this! Love it! Tastecraftiness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This creation is amazing! The work and creativity you have put into it really shows. I love all the layering and details on each panel and the centerpiece. And look at the spoon, Too cute!
    Thank you so much for sharing your work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG! I have been wracking my brain wondering how to send my creations through the mail. This is PERFECT! THANK YOU for this AMAZING idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! You’re not a crafter, you’re a true artist!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! This is an incredible gift. I still have those K&Co. papers too!

    ReplyDelete