Sunday, July 3, 2016

Oh say can you SEA...



I just fell in love with the Waving Flag Bag in the new Happy 4th SVG kit from SVG Cuts!  I considered making it in the traditional red, white and blue colors, but for me the 4th of July was often celebrated on the New England seaside and I've always had a love of the beach and could just picture this flag with a bit of an ocean theme.  

When flipping through my paper stash, I came across an older K&Company stack by Tim Coffey called Travel which is loaded with wonderful designs, so I picked a few to represent the red, white and blue and went from there. I inked the panels using Distress inks in Antique Linen, Iced Spruce and Fired Brick.  


I also dug into my Tim Holtz die inventory to create the starfish 'stars' for my beachy flag. These are from the Sand & Sea dies, Bigz and Movers & Shapers.  I tried to keep the color light so it would show up against the relatively light blue background. I rubbed the stars with a little Distress Stickles in Scattered Straw.  It looks a lot like sand in person.

As usual I spent more time on paper selection than actually building the project. This is a super easy project to do and makes such a nice seasonal decor piece.  

Happy 4th of July!  


2 comments:

  1. This is great, I love the theme and colours you chose but can still tell it's the flag of the United States.

    Paula from across the pond xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool especially with the unexpected patterned paper! Thanks for sharing, Lee! :)

    ReplyDelete